Monday, November 8, 2010

Better than breakfast


I am a big fan of breakfast, but I have realized that I can skip that meal and be OK (even though people keep telling me it is the "most important meal of the day"), as long as I have a good lunch. I know, it is not a good thing, but sometimes I find myself not having time to even have breakfast.

One thing I can not skip though, is my time with the Word of God. I do end up skipping it sometimes, and when I do, I feel the effects of not eating breakfast and not having lunch until late. Somehow I can find myself skipping those eggs with bacon (just as an example), rather than my time with the Lord.

You see, and I am not trying to be legalistic at all here, but one of the biggest lessons I ever learned was to start off your day with God. This is not a ritual, not something to do check off my "good" list of the day, but something I have found that is absolutely important in the life of a follower of Jesus Christ. We need that food for the day, that refreshing and instruction to go out to this wicked and dark world.

Something that I was challenged once by a friend, was to feed myself spiritually before I feed myself physically. Sounds easy, doesn't it? But sometimes getting up and sitting down, opening my Bible takes a lot out of me that I might not have in the morning. It takes stop hitting the snooze button from my alarm and getting out of bed, it might take setting up the coffee pot so I can have some jolt in me, it takes to be focused and aware and knowing that I am just not reading words on paper, but that I am reading and studying the instructions from my Lord.

So this is a good challenge for you all, I know we all work different, but try to start your day with God.
Have you had your SPIRITUAL breakfast yet?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment